Wednesday, January 07, 2009

A Shackled Soul

The child under censure looks for a freeway,
Paper boats and fables don’t quite make his day.
Scoffing at the fetters that shackle his soul,
He prays to be a man, so he can be on his own.

The distressed young man breathes out of his window,
Smothered by a cocktail of stress, greed and ego.
Sweet nothings of yore left behind, many a mile,
He prays to be a child, so he can remember how to smile.

Child to the man:
I’m done with the sermons on the person I should be,
Why can’t the world just let me be me?
The scores I bring home define my parents’ love or disdain,
You know not the anguish of constant embargos and refrain.
I envy you so, for you can tell good and evil apart,
And you have the freedom to let that special someone into your heart.

Man to the child:
I’ve wings to fly, but I’m dizzied by the height,
There’s not a soul around me on this dark, gloomy night.
I crave those lazy naps in the noon,
Looking back on a fond era that passed by too soon.
When you fail, your mother does comfort her son,
But as today I fail, all I see is an empty room and a loaded gun.

6 comments:

Henri said...

Poignant :) (Wanted to use this word desperately :D)

If only I could learn to be,
Not wait for circumstance to set me free!

Unknown said...

thanks...! btw: i like the word poignant too...something in its phonetics..!

Hatikvah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hatikvah said...

Is it recession or is it sheer coincidence that I've read a barrage of posts, including this one that betrays despair as against hope. The expression, though, is laudatory...

Nitin said...

Must be Rajus (of Satyam fame) childhood and youth..

Parth said...

Strong emotive appeal...
Eminent