Friday, November 13, 2009


What's Your Worth?



This morning, I held a copy of my new novel for the first time. It was a magical, almost surreal moment to see in complete flesh and flair a product I had been trying to give shape since the latter half of 2007. An interesting journey this, of over a year and a half - compiled by moments of ecstasy where ideas flowed generously, months of frustration where I nearly pulled my hair out for want of ideas, and eons of uncertainty as I faced multiple rejections from the publishing fraternity before finally landing the right choice. A friend asked me how easy was it to cope with the impatience and anxiety. To which I replied, "Very difficult, unless you can remember to always ask yourself the quintessential question: "What's your Worth?"".


Circa 2005, I was attending a B-school fest with some friends from college. Not surprisingly, I was not who you'd call the shining MBA star in the group of twenty, who was to achieve something magnificient in any of those contests. While the other nineteen had proven their prowess in some contest or the other, I had not so much as made it through the elims of any of them. And this ugly truth was brought to the fore by one of them, who said as we all sat for dinner: "Come on, Nishant, will you ever show your worth somewhere at least?"


The triviality with which the comment was made was not important. It was the hurt that lingered within for months at end that got me to ask myself, "What indeed, was my worth?" I found the answer in due course of time and discovery. Today, as I see my books in the store shelves, I am glad I've managed to answer my friend's concern. I have shown my worth - if not to him, at least to myself.


My discovery of my worth is in doing what makes me happy. In pursuing my dream. In challenging myself. And whenever I feel short of breath or tack in the chase, I remember that dinner - those nineteen sniggers, and the one important, maybe unintended advice: to realize my worth.


Humour yourselves with this question. You never know when it helps you take the otherwise unimaginable flight of fancy.

9 comments:

Abhijit Karnik said...

Not so soon my friend. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Lots more to come. If you are still around, it means you haven't answered that question fully yet :-)

Neha said...

well...someone had really been rude that day....but I guess u need to call n thank him/her :))

More often than not...these jolts only make u ask that fundamental ques...of whats ur worth ??

My Experimentation on said...

Hi Mr.Kaushik. By way of introduction i am Ramanujam, doing my Bachelor's of Engineering. Recently to be precise three days back, i bought your book, "A Romance with Chaos." My appreciation for your good work in it. But i felt that there was an over use of words. For a fact though it's good to write but over usage creates a sort of dislike!! Moreover i read your personal info too in which you have mentioned about Five-Point Someone book. For a fact before getting to read your blog and to know you, i realized that at few instants you have imitated Chetan Bhagat's Style. Please see to that in next book of yours you have your own style.

Do not mistake me, by saying so. Just thought of saying it. Good Luck with your next project.(Work, Book and Life (take it any random order.)) :)

destinednomad said...

congrats on the book... enjoyed it.

Mishree said...

Hi Nishant,

Just finished reading ur book...and my situation is a little like 'Eric in Chaos' at the moment...(actually, i sort of keep going into that mode from time to time)...but what matters is that all Erics come out of their situations,no matter how chaotic they are.Was very happy to read you...have to get my hands on ur first novel now!In the mean time, I'll be happy if you could drop by on my blog too...thanx a ton...n keep up the good work...

Regards,

Mishree :-)

pratim said...

Hi Nishant,

yesterday I finished reading your book.I will say a fantastic one,the main thing I liked here is the office politics you have described, which is always there in all companies.

Just wanted to as apart from wath Out!we are MBA and A romance with Chaos what are the other books you have written.

Unknown said...

hey reading u r novel its quite worth a read
hey it seems lyk u r having an influence of chetan in u r writings

Malvika said...

Hey, well truely said, always keep your critics near by that would make you worth....and being worth is truely about your own hapiness and satisfaction of doing something. your effors are reallhy worth learning :-) God Bless.

Skandaprasad S said...

Very nice read... Simple and effective... Expect more such narratives...

Cheers,
Skandaprasad